Expertise-Based Second Story Addition Services in San DiegoSchedule a consultation
Add a new & modern space to your home
Our second story additions bring your vision to life
If you’re in need of additional space in your home, why not consider a full second story addition? Lars Architecture and Construction is the leading second story addition company in San Diego and the nearby areas, and we can help you bring value and functionality to your home. You don’t have to move – all you need is to add another story to your home and get plenty of room in the process. Choose us as one of the leading home design and architecture firms in San Diego if you need expert craftsmen to create a sturdy construction for you. Schedule an on-site consultation now!
View finished second story additions
Pacific Beach Second Story Addition
Ocean Beach Second Story Addition
Our expert second story additions boost property value
The benefits of our second story addition services
- Higher home value
- Additional space for your needs
- Increased comfort and functionality
- Bleeding-edge fixtures and appliances
Why choose Lars Architecture and Construction
Why we’re the leading second story addition company in San Diego
3D virtual design
Drafting plans &
Top appliances &
Meet your favorite second story addition contractors
Here’s what our satisfied clients say
Hiring Lars was one of the best decisions we had ever made! Their residential architects and designers did an amazing job with our kitchen space, and we are so thankful for all the time they dedicated to us. They expanded our existing kitchen and updated the layout to be more practical and suitable for our needs. What we loved the most about them was that we were always included in the process and they had never missed an opportunity to check in and consult with us on the next steps.
With the baby on the way, we’ll surely need some extra space, and Lars Architecture and Construction will be the first people we call!
Kitchen addition, San Diego
Get more information on second story additions
Frequently asked questions
Is adding a second story worth it?
Adding a second story to your home is a worthwhile investment, whether you lack room in your home or want to freshen it up home with a new, contemporary addition. Reaching out to experienced second story addition contractors in San Diego can bring you the following advantages:
- A boost in your home value
- An opportunity to redesign your home
- Additional living space for you and your family
- Gaining additional room without losing your yard space
- Avoiding the hassle and costs of moving to a new home
When it comes to adding more space to a home, Lars Architecture and Construction has a team of qualified and well-equipped contractors with years of experience in the field. We can handle your second story addition project from start to finish, including architectural planning, interior design, and time-tested building methods, and handling any possible complications in the process. Get the enormous benefits of a well-executed second story addition with us.
What to consider before adding a second story to your house?
When you’re thinking about hiring a second story addition company in San Diego or the surrounding neighborhoods, there are several important considerations you should take into account before proceeding with the project:
- Whole-house impact: The function and the design of a second story addition have an effect on your entire home, from structural work to mechanical work and finishes. A great design will make the story addition look as if it had always been intended, so take the time to ensure that the story addition improves the curb appeal of your property and increases the functionality of your home.
- Structural requirements: Your old roof system weighs significantly less than an entirely new second story on your home. You should consult experienced engineers able to calculate the amount of weight the foundation of your home and the main-floor walls can support.
When you’re making a second story addition to your home, there is usually a need for additional structural support in form of steel connection and plywood across main-floor walls in order for your home to meet code requirements.
- Stairs: When adding a new story, you’re going to have to allocate some space from your main floor. This can impact the functionality of certain rooms, as well as the flow of the entire home. This requires some creative thinking and cooperation with a reputable architect who is able to find the perfect spot in your home for new stairs.
- Doors, siding, and windows: Second story additions also raise the concern of the building envelope. Should you try to match the doors, sidings, and windows, or start completely over? Perhaps a half-and-half approach?
This will make you wonder if your entire home should get new siding. Also, if the windows are rotting, or if they don’t meet the energy code, you should replace them altogether.
- Insulation: Adding a new story to your home is the ideal time to add new insulation. If your home was built in the ’50s, chances are there is no insulation within the walls, except maybe for newspapers. Opting for rigid insulation or fiberglass batts will greatly improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Finishes: The finishes of your home will probably dictate the finishes of the story addition in terms of materials, colors, and style. However, you can choose to revisit the finishes of your entire home to give your house a uniform, fresh look.
- Roofing: When you’re making a second story addition to your home, the contractors will have to remove your entire roof. This is something you have to be aware of, as it will make living within your home impossible.
A project of this size always requires you to vacate your home. However, once you get back, you’ll enter a home that has double the space and that is completely ready for you to live in. If you are ready to take your home to the next phase, contact us for your second story addition project.
How to build a second floor on an existing house?
Adding a second story to your home is a complicated process that requires hiring experienced second story addition contractors in the San Diego region. The professionals will inspect your home, create a design, and devise a plan on how to add a story to your home.
However, there are also some aspects to consider before construction starts:
- Perform thorough research prior to starting the project. The research should address possible design ideas, what second story addition company to hire, and your neighborhood building and zoning regulations.
- Reach out to several contractors to receive information on their quotes and their construction process.
- See about getting insurance to cover any potential damages, or inquire whether or not your contractor has some form of insurance.
- Plan for potential unexpected furnishings and costs, and set additional funds aside for such occurrences.
- Always go for a walkthrough of your addition with your contractors before finalizing construction.
Lars Architecture and Construction is your go-to provider of second story addition services in San Diego and the area. Our experienced contractors will advise you every step of the way, from initial planning and design ideas to adding finishing touches to your beautiful new space. Contact us today!
How long does a second story addition take?
It is difficult to give an estimate on how long a second story addition service for your home in San Diego or the nearby area will take. The length of the construction work depends on the three most important factors:
- Experience of the contractors
- Scope of the project
- The current state of your home
It is these three factors that largely influence the duration of the construction. However, if you hire a leading second story addition company in San Diego and the area, you can expect swift work on your home. We are a company that employs only the most experienced contractors that are able to turn your dreams into reality quickly and efficiently.
Who are the leading second story addition contractors in San Diego & beyond?
If you’re looking for experienced, reliable, and dedicated second story addition contractors in San Diego and the nearby areas, you should look no further than Lars Architecture and Construction. We are a renowned second story addition company that will make all the visions for your home come true. Whether you live in Downtown San Diego, or in Mission Hills, we’re here to give your home a new space.
Besides second story addition services, we also provide the following:
- Modern kitchen addition services in San Diego
- Premium bathroom additions in the area
- Excellent room addition service across the region
- Luxurious suite additions to San Diego residents
- Contemporary house and ADU additions across the SD area
- Tailored whole-home construction anywhere in San Diego
We’re ready to give your home a completely new look no matter your requirements. We will listen to your desires and bring them to life. Reach out to us today!