Your obvious choice for second story addition.
Impactful Second Story Addition Services in San Diego
Unlock the full potential of your home with our help
As a team of the finest designers and custom home builders, Lars Architecture has what it takes to coordinate and build the perfect second-story addition for your San Diego property. Our team will learn about you, discuss all your requirements, and then create a functional living space that lives up to your expectations. You don’t have to move – all you need is to add another story to your home and get plenty of room in the process.
Our streamlined design-build process
At Lars, we start the second story addition process with a discovery phase to help you determine your goals and what is feasible for your existing home. We assess your current space, identify opportunities, and work closely with you to ensure your vision is realistic and achievable.
We go to great lengths to create a blueprint that matches your lifestyle. We consider the layout of the new space, materials needed, and any special features that you want to incorporate. This is also when we finalize the budget and apply for any necessary permits or approvals.
The process of turning your ideas into reality begins here. With the design completed and permits and approvals in place, we move on to the build stage. As a reliable second-story addition company, we keep a digital log of all daily activities so you can keep track of your project.
The final stage is the move-in process. This is when you get to enjoy your newly expanded space. As a team, we coordinate everything, ensuring that any necessary adjustments or finishing touches are completed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is adding a second story worth it?
Adding a second story to your home is a worthwhile investment, whether you lack room in your home or want to freshen it up home with a new, contemporary addition. Reaching out to experienced team in San Diego can bring you the following advantages:
- A boost in your home value
- An opportunity to redesign your home
- Additional living space for you and your family
- Gaining additional room without losing your yard space
- Avoiding the hassle and costs of moving to a new home
When it comes to adding more space to a home, we’re qualified and well-equipped contractors with years of experience in the field. You can trust us to handle your project from start to finish, handling any possible complications in the process.
What to consider before adding a second story to your house?
When you’re thinking about hiring professional custom home builders for your project, there are several important considerations you should take into account:
- Whole-house impact: Your project will have an effect on your entire home, from structural work to mechanical work and finishes. A great design will make the story addition look as if it had always been intended, so take the time to ensure that the story addition improves the curb appeal of your property and increases the functionality of your home.
- Structural requirements: Your old roof system weighs significantly less than an entirely new second story on your home. You should consult experienced engineers able to calculate the amount of weight the foundation of your home and the main-floor walls can support.
When you’re making a second story addition to your home, there is usually a need for additional structural support in the form of steel connection and plywood across main-floor walls in order for your home to meet code requirements.
- Stairs: When adding a new story, you’re going to have to allocate some space from your main floor. This can impact the functionality of certain rooms, as well as the flow of the entire home. This requires some creative thinking and cooperation with a reputable architect who is able to find the perfect spot in your home for new stairs.
- Doors, siding, and windows: Second story additions also raise the concern of the building envelope. Should you try to match the doors, sidings, and windows, or start completely over? Perhaps a half-and-half approach?
This will make you wonder if your entire home should get new siding. Also, if the windows are rotting, or if they don’t meet the energy code, you should replace them altogether.
- Insulation: Adding a new story to your home is the ideal time to add new insulation. If your home was built in the ’50s, chances are there is no insulation within the walls, except maybe for newspapers. Opting for rigid insulation or fiberglass batts will greatly improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Finishes: The finishes of your home will probably dictate the finishes of the story addition in terms of materials, colors, and style. However, you can choose to revisit the finishes of your entire home to give your house a uniform, fresh look.
- Roofing: If you decide to undertake such a complex project, the contractors will have to remove your entire roof. This is something you have to be aware of, as it will make living within your home impossible.
A project of this size always requires you to temporarily vacate your home in San Diego. However, once you get back, you’ll enter a home that has double the space and that is completely ready for you to live in. Feel free to get in touch with us for more info!
How to build a second floor on an existing house?
Adding a second story to your home is a complicated process that requires hiring experienced second story addition contractors in the San Diego region. The professionals will inspect your home, create a design, and devise a plan on how to add a story to your home.
However, there are also some aspects to consider before construction starts:
- Perform thorough research prior to starting the project. The research should address possible design ideas, what company to hire, and your neighborhood building and zoning regulations.
- Reach out to several contractors to receive information on their quotes and their construction process.
- See about getting insurance to cover any potential damages, or inquire whether or not your contractor has some form of insurance.
- Plan for potential unexpected furnishings and costs, and set additional funds aside for such occurrences.
- Always go for a walkthrough of your addition with your contractors before finalizing construction.
We’re here to advise you every step of the way, from initial planning and design ideas to adding finishing touches to your beautiful new space. Contact us today!
How long does a second story addition take?
It is difficult to give an estimate on how long a second story addition service for your home in San Diego or the nearby area will take. The length of the construction work depends on the three most important factors:
- Experience of the contractors
- Scope of the project
- The current state of your home
It is these three factors that largely influence the duration of the construction. However, with a seasoned team at your corner, you can expect swift work on your home. Lars is a company that employs only the most experienced contractors that are able to turn your dreams into reality quickly and efficiently.
Who are the leading second story addition contractors in San Diego & beyond?
If you’re looking for experienced, reliable, and dedicated second story addition contractors in San Diego and the nearby areas, you should look no further than Lars Room Additions. We are renowned custom home builders that will make all the visions for your home come true. Whether you live in Downtown San Diego, or in 4S Ranch, we’re here to give your home a new space.
Besides second story addition services, we also provide the following:
- Modern kitchen addition services in San Diego
- Premium bathroom additions in the area
- Excellent room addition service across the region
- Contemporary house and ADU additions across the SD area
We’re ready to give your home a completely new look no matter your requirements. We will listen to your desires and bring them to life. Reach out to us today!
Visit our showroom in San Diego to see what we have to offer
Home design trends that open up a world of possibilities
Discover what sets us apart from the competition